Saturday, June 21, 2014

To save a forest or sow a seed?

My buddy Paul Stoutenburgh from Earth Soul Productions just shot me over a new film that he assisted in creating with a non-profit called "The Borneo Project" out in Berkeley, California. In 11 minutes the film sharply presents impending displacement of 20,000 people from the mega-dam floods that will take place in Sarawak, Malaysia if the government follows through with the development plans.

Before you soak it all in I want to share a few thoughts.

I was blessed to mentor Paul down in
Esparza, Costa Rica at Amerikanoestudios.
We have been best friends ever since. 
I didn't always empathize with the displaced, although sympathy was always a steady stream. As a young teenager, the houses and communities being presented to these "unfortunate" people always seemed like a step up in their well-being. Those were the days where I knew not what it meant to be connected to the land. To know that your ancestors are in the rivers, the trees and the rivers. I had been educated and for several years now I have been trying to forget everything I thought I knew.

Without giving away the film too much, I want to bear witness to the tears that came streaming down my cheeks as the films' credits rolled followed by a concerned questioning of what the hell I did this week, obsessively trying to convey the wonders of the solar system to the 5 little planets I orbit here in Caillou Kindergarten. Is this where I am needed most? Should I go on sowing seeds when there is an entire forest in need? May the spirits continue to guide me.
Please watch and support: The Borneo Mega Dam Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment