Sunday, June 15, 2014

Fostering a new generation of readers!!

Last week, my K-kids and I took a little trip down to the Caillou Library in downtown Jinan. This was the first of many trips we will be making as part of our strategy towards not only getting the kids to learn HOW to read but also, LOVE READING!!

We had a wonderful time exploring through the boundless amounts of young readers' material. I need to confess though that as we fingered through the towering shelves and leafed through the pages of the books we chose, the dad in me starting to boil up with a selfish eagerness to have my older boy with us. In August, Owen Jazz IV will be rolling in to town alongside his mother and little brother. I can't wait for him to be a part of the Caillou family.

My aforementioned excitement ended up in a brainstorming session this week, alongside the Caillou Main Librarian and Principal. I basically shared with them how I wanted to be in on the action and be a part of the creative efforts carried out to foment a culture of readers in the magical place they ran. The meeting went well, I cannot disclose what is to come just yet. But please stay tuned for future updates.

For now, I will leave you with a few pics from our brainstorming session. This was the first time I had ever talked and had someone take notes of my ideas in Mandarin. Pretty neat!


 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun. I can't wait to see the school and visit your new city Jinan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I can't wait to have you guys here!

    Have you been able to see the videos OK? I put up additional links that I hope troubleshoot the issue.

    ReplyDelete